If you’re new to Wauwatosa or you’re just looking for a new family dentist, McCue Dental Health is here for you. But before scheduling an appointment, you may be asking yourself “how often should I visit the dentist?”
In this blog, we’ll discuss the ADA’s recommendations, the benefits of frequent dental visits, and the basics about what you can expect during your next visit to McCue Dental Health. Let’s get started.
The ADA Recommends Six-Month Dental Visits
The ADA recommends that patients see a dentist every six months for routine preventive care, such as oral exams and teeth cleanings, and this is the interval that Dr. Shaun McCue recommends for most patients.
Why should you see the dentist every six months? Let’s take a look at some of the benefits now.
- Identify oral health issues early – The most important reason to see a dentist every six months is that your dentist, such as Dr. McCue, can look for signs of serious oral health problems like cavities, gum disease, and even oral cancer. By catching these kinds of problems early, you can get treatment right away, prevent further complications, and save both time and money.
- Keep your smile bright – With a professional teeth cleaning, you can remove plaque and tartar that you simply cannot remove by brushing and flossing on your own. This helps keep your smile bright and beautiful.
- Track and assess your long-term oral health – As you see Dr. McCue consistently, he’ll be able to learn more about you and the unique challenges that face your oral health, and he can develop a treatment plan that will ensure you get the care you need to keep your smile strong and healthy.
- Get peace of mind – After you get a clean bill of health at the dentist, you’ll know that your mouth is free of major oral health problems, which provides you with valuable peace of mind.
What Happens During A Six-Month Dental Visit At McCue Dental Health?
Not sure what to expect during your visit to McCue Dental Health? Here’s what usually happens during your dental visit.
- Teeth cleaning – First, one of our dental hygienists will perform a basic oral exam, scrape plaque and tartar away from your teeth, buff and polish your teeth, and floss between your teeth to remove any remaining debris, leaving you with a bright clean smile.
- Oral exam – Dr. McCue will discuss your oral health with your hygienist, then perform his own exam to look for signs of cavities, gum disease, oral cancer, and other potential issues. Then, he’ll discuss his findings with you, as well as any follow-up treatments that may be recommended.
- X-rays (if needed) – If you’re a new patient, we will likely recommend x-rays to identify potentially hidden oral health issues. But if you’ve already had x-rays taken, you will only need to get a new set of x-rays every 2-3 years, or if Dr. McCue needs to use an x-ray to diagnose a potential oral health issue.
Get Expert Preventive Dental Care In Wauwatosa From McCue Dental Health
Our team is always here to help patients in Wauwatosa take control of their oral health, and get the preventive care they need for a healthy smile. So don’t wait. If you’re overdue for a six-month dental visit, give us a call at (414) 456-1091 or contact us online for more information.